A Note To Site Visitors

If you have used any of the products we have reviewed please leave a comment regarding your experiences with them so that other visitors can get a better idea of their quality. We have done our best to represent the true quality of all reviewed products but without using them over a long period of time it's difficult to get a grasp on the long term reliability of said products.

Apex DT250 TV Converter Box Owners Manual


Read up on the Apex DT250 users manual if you are an owner of the Apex DT250 and are having issues with its operation. Here you can find tips for troubleshooting and/or general functions and features. We don't provide specific support for issues such as these so the users manual is the best way to get answers. You can also contact Apex directly and you may be able to get an answer from them, or you can leave a comment and hope for the best from another reader.

Technical Specifications



  • Government Certified 
  • Coupon Eligible
  • Analog Pass-Through
  • Smart Antenna Compliant
  • S-Video
  • Parental Controls
  • User Remote
  • Customizeable Closed Captioning
  • Favorite Channel Settings
  • On Screen Signal Strength Meter
  • Composite Video Out
  • Analog L/R Audio Out
  • Channels 2-69
  • Aspect Ratio Support For 16:9 and 4:3
  • Energy Start Compliant
  • AV Cables and RF Cables Included
  • Batteries Included - 2 AAA
  • 9" x 6.1" x 1.6"
  • 2 lbs.
  • 55 comments :

    1. My tv screen went blank I think my converter box stopped working but the light still comes on and I checked the cords

      ReplyDelete
    2. It sounds to me like our Apex converter was not built to last a year because I am having the EXACT same problem.Some kind of solution would be wonderful!
      Thanks

      ReplyDelete
    3. I can't get my Apex DT250 to turn on. The red light is on the power button but when I press it is just blinks red, it never turns green.

      ReplyDelete
    4. My Apex converter box is not working and did not last a year....I want answers!!!

      ReplyDelete
    5. Same problem RED LIGHT and no other response, The thing didn't last a year. What's up with that?

      ReplyDelete
    6. Just tried to switch mine to another tv and now it wont give me a menu for channel searching on either. Remote controls on/off but nothing else us functioning

      ReplyDelete
    7. I have two of them and they both stopped working Friday night! What's the answer to that

      ReplyDelete
    8. can somebody please tell me what is wrong with those apex digital tv converter, because i was in the middle of watching a show when it all stopped working. what a piece of junk.

      ReplyDelete
    9. This coverter box is worthless. I wouldn't waste my money on it if I were you.

      ReplyDelete
    10. I have two and both failed after about a year. I have heard that many others have experienced this problem. One day they work, the next day they're kaput. Only the red light works. Best Buy should not be selling rubbish like Apex.

      ReplyDelete
    11. Are there any ANSWERS to this problem? Red light on. Won't turn green!

      ReplyDelete
    12. Same problem RED LIGHT blinks when you press the PowerOn button, and no other response, The thing didn't last much longer than 12 or 13 months.
      It likely runs too hot. If I find out which is the normally failed part, I will try to post it here.
      HealthResearch@

      ReplyDelete
    13. "APEX DT250A DTV CONVERTER BOX "
      I bought 2 from Best Buy at $49.99ea & w/$40 coupons I paid $9.99ea. The APEX DT250A has known problems with a "BLOWN CAPACITOR" (which I nor 100's of other people knew of until it happened to us) & there is no easy fix for it. I bought two boxes 2/2009 but had cable at the time & had no need them until 3/2010 when I couldn't afford cable anymore. Well, 2 weeks ago (8/14/2010) one went out while I was asleep & upon moving it to the front room, it no longer powers on manually nor by remote. 2 days ago (8/30/2010) the other box, same issue. i went to Bestbuy.com, Fixya.com & http://dtvconverterboxes.blogspot.com/2009/05/apex-dt250-owner-manual.html You can also Google "Apex DT250 problems" & you'll see that it seems to be a nationwide issue. I have to buy new boxes at full cost. The power light just sits there in red & flickers when you press it manually or use the remote. This is a manufacturer defect that needs fixing or replacing & Apex Digital needs to be held responsible! We are unsuspecting consumers who were forced into the switch and HAD to buy DTV Converter Boxes & we've been ripped off. We need to do something about it.

      ReplyDelete
    14. In mine the remote turns on and off no other functions work tv stays blank. Is there a class action filed against the manufacturer?

      ReplyDelete
    15. My Apex is no longer working... except I can get very limited DTV channels thru my VCR. Unfortunately, the majority of the channels that come thru DTV are foreign language stations.

      ReplyDelete
    16. Well I do believe there is a conspiracy, I would rather have a fuzzy analog show that I can understand than, crisp, pixilated, hesitating, 4 of 5 pbs stations in spanish, blank screen after 5 months Apex worthless converter

      ReplyDelete
    17. I have the same problem as above. The on/off switch just blinks red when pushed. This was sent free from the GOVERNMENT. Good Stuff hey?

      I'll try the capacitor fix.

      ReplyDelete
    18. My brother bought it for me doesn't work on my tv because it isn't high definition tv and I use an apex antenna with clock and insiginia tv in the front room and it works perfect. Channel 2 comes in and out like always.

      ReplyDelete
    19. You can add another person to the list of "Red Light" unsatisfied costumers.

      ReplyDelete
    20. Same problem! Is someone know anyone working on any solution from BestBuy or the manufacturer? They should be held responsible.

      ReplyDelete
    21. Another satisfied customer. Still red light. Blinks occassionally. I suspect it is fried. It will be hard to give up my one channel that I've gotten intermittently since the end of the world as we knew it. I will miss you ABC but not nearly as much as giving up analog TV a yr & half ago. DTV bites chunks.

      ReplyDelete
    22. Two APEX converters later we are down to one tv. The first one went quick the second yesterday. Who's brilliantidea was this conversion? Probably Congress. Oh well tv isn't that great anyway.

      ReplyDelete
    23. My APEX DT250. Try to rescan channels and get NO TV SIGNALS ?

      ReplyDelete
    24. What is happening? My converter box is doing the exact thing. It all started today.My box just sits with the red light,nothing is happening.Remote is not working,nothing is working! What happen? Can anyone tell me please

      ReplyDelete
    25. box stopped working while I was watching tv. light went red and wont come back on...havent had a year and its broke. it just quit working...I WANT A REFUND FROM APEX

      ReplyDelete
    26. RE: Apex DT250 I had the same problem with the red light not switching to green and no signal being pulled in to view television. I called Apex and did the entire run around. They wanted $30 to look at the situation before and extra to fix it. They were obviously massed produced in a speedy fashion in order to make money off of the U.S. Government and tax payers.

      I purchased a 470uF capacitor at Radio Shack as recommended. It cost $1.49 http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2103624

      It was easy breesy to find the C8 component, melt sodder, pull out component, replace new capacitor and re-sodder. Tears nearly blinded my view of television being once again aired on my old Sanyo television.

      Thank you very much to all the fine folks who posted help regarding fixing the Apex DT250. Many people don't realize how elderly still rely on basic television reception. Not everyone can afford cable or satellite tv. I'm most appreciative for your consideration of posting online help.

      ReplyDelete
    27. Haven't heard any resolutions to the problem. My converter box just stopped working. The green light stays on, but no picture comes out.

      ReplyDelete
    28. DT250A turns on & off but tv stays blank! check cables nothing works

      ReplyDelete
    29. OMG...I had to laugh @ some of these!! Conspiracy? Yes!! Have experience all of the above problems. APEX sucks all around...3 converter boxes out....I want my freakin' money back!!

      ReplyDelete
    30. i lost my remote what is the codes for this dtv

      ReplyDelete
    31. My box won't turn on the lights stays red WHY WONT IT WORK !!!!!!!

      ReplyDelete
    32. I did the capacitor replacement outlined by Emma above. Quite easy -- head to the Shack and fix it for $1.49.

      Here's the link:
      http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2103624

      If you don't know how to solder, get ready to learn!

      ReplyDelete
    33. Didn't realize how much their products sucked until now. Same red light problem here. Tried to contact them with no response back. Sad company, crappy products, and terrible customer service.

      ReplyDelete
    34. Mine seems to stop changing channels and stops responding to any other command from the remote. When I unplug the power chord for a while, it sometimes works after replugging it in. But only temporarily. It may be due to getting hot possibly. Definately a piece of junk. I'm on board for a class action lawsuit...

      ReplyDelete
    35. Thanks for the advice. I replaced the C8 capacitor with the recommended radio shack capacitor (http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2103624) and all works well. Be aware that this is an Electrolytic Capacitor so there is a + and - side.
      The damaged capacitor was easily identified by the bulging top.

      ReplyDelete
    36. Me too....same red light grrrrr and I am missing my FOOTBALL GAME!!!!!

      ReplyDelete
    37. My Apex has failed. I don't use it very often. It is not my normal t.v. with cable that I view from. My red power button is lit to indicate the box is receiving power,but it will not power to the on position (green light). Nor will it change to green if you use the remote. It just winks red at you if you press either button. Like most of you I believe this is a defect either intentionally made or unintentionally. Yes with the government's decision to allow digital and forced us all to purchase a box it made some corporations richer. Which is just what the obstructionist in the current legislation want to continue to do. Yes, we should do a class action. There should be a recall of these boxes. Please write to the U.S. Attorney Generals office and direct him to this website to show how many people are experiencing the same problem. I bet each of these postings could easily represent 1,000's of people.

      ReplyDelete
    38. Thanks to Emma I fixed my Apex digital converter! Just like most everyone says, the red light stays on no matter what you press or do... and I even heard a high pitch squeal - ugh!
      Emma was bang on, easy breesy, just replace the C8 capacitor. Find someone with a soldering iron!!!

      ReplyDelete
    39. Bought 2, tried 2, neither one worked very well. Purchased several antennas hoping it would enhance reception, not! Can't get local English channels, can't reset channels. Threw one through the kitchen door into yard, naturally it busted apart. Works just as well now as when it was new! I can't be constructive, this was a conspiracy to suck the last dollar out of our tv-watching fannies.

      ReplyDelete
    40. I just fixed a pathetic Apex DT502 box by replacing the C8 470uf capacitor. Thanks for the information. I saved the $1.19 by pulling one out of the power supply board in an old Tivo box.

      ReplyDelete
    41. how do i hook up vcr/dvd toconverter box

      ReplyDelete
    42. I also got 8 Apex boxes form Best buy for my self and other family member before the deadline of the coupon my daughters went out first I thought it was her plug. Gave one of mines it went, from that every one stop working one at a time, I just went out to Radio Shack to buy two for my mom and my self at 59.99, 64 with taxes and 8.99 for a year of warranty total $74. All of the boxes went out and will not go from red to green. My mother called TV 8 action line on them about the boxes, they said go to apex 5 step to release. I haven't found it yet, but this is how I saw the page.

      ReplyDelete
    43. Mine just stopped working like the rest. I'll try replacing the recommended capacitor. I have a soldering iron, but no skills to use it. I have another converter box (a Zenith), which receives every channel except the one I watch most (CBS). So, off to Radio Shack tomorrow.

      Apex, you are lame.

      ReplyDelete
    44. I do not leave my Unit ON all the time. I turn it off after use with a power strip. What I have noticed is the batteries in the rather poor remote do not last very long. That is they last month rather than the typical years that other remote batteries last. In 2 years I have changed the crappy remote batteries twice that is I am now on my third set in 2 years. I have hear about a filter cap blowing causing the unit not to turn on. If you have the skill to replace a cap please replace it with a higher voltage version... Especially with any tantalum cap.

      ReplyDelete
    45. thanks emma and to all! if you are nervous about replacing the capacitor, don't be. i'm a single gal with no experience in this area at all. bought a solder kit $20 and the capacitor at same time.
      remove cover
      remove 4 screws on the "motherboard" (all the components are labelled on the board...look for c8)
      flip the board and melt to the twp capacitor wires
      pull it out from front
      put in new one...careful to put the + in the positive hole and the - wire in the negative hole
      solder the bottom...i did a poor job
      plug it in to try
      then reassemble
      works like a charm!
      and i feel really capable too!

      ReplyDelete
    46. Hats off to person that found the cure for C8. Called local Radio Shack and they stock cap, $1.49 for cap and $10.00 for soldering iron. Replaced and so far so good. Anyone that has handy person skills can replace cap and fix. Another bad reg. mandate by GOV., wake up Americans pick canidates that limit GOV. and cuts waste spending.

      ReplyDelete
    47. Same as other posts. Unit stopped working and only sign of life is the constantly red light that flickers when you oush the remote control. I guess my options are pull out the old soldering iron and try to replace this bad part or upgrade TVs to a digital tuner. Apex would only use this to make service income or sell you a refurbished unit (maybe) and the government is long gone from this.
      Sometimes H/W manufacturers have a reset process by plugging it in a holding the power button but that did not do anything either.

      ReplyDelete
    48. OMG it seems everyone has the same problem wit these apex boxes!off to radio shack and trying it out.ugh so irratating...

      ReplyDelete
    49. Same problem, headed to radio shack. Don't know how to use a solder iron, nor do i own one, but would rather spend the money to buy a solder iron and learn how to use it than give a single penny to apex.

      ReplyDelete
    50. WOW!! easy fix on the c8..thanks so much!

      ReplyDelete
    51. Is there a list of codes that will allow me to be able to program my TV to the converter box remote? If not, if I were to get a universal remote, is there a code to be able to program my TV remote to be able to control the converter box? My mother is using two remote controls and is ALWAYS messing the TV up. Thanks for any help you can give me.

      ReplyDelete
    52. I have a digital cable signal coming into my house but my children TV is analog how do I hook up the converter box to change it into analog so they can watch there TV? thanks

      ReplyDelete
    53. I have the Apex 250 digital to analog digital converter I have a digital cable signal coming into my house for my two digital TVs that I have but my children TV in their room is analog how can I connect my converter box so they can watch TV in their rooms using the converter box?

      ReplyDelete
    54. Apex DT 250 will not power on using remote control and blinks red each time remote power button pressed. Manual power on with button on the face of unit made the LED turn green (seemed a little dimmer than usual), but blank black screen.

      FIX FOR APEX DT250 WILL NOT POWER ON RED LED BLINKS:

      Tore apart an old Dish receiver I had hacked (and bricked) ... LOL.... yanked out one of the 550uf 35V electrolytic capacitors and removed and replaced C8 (which showed signs of bulging) in the DT 250.

      Powers up and works.

      ReplyDelete
    55. This is crazy! I have 2 boxes that stopped working. I knew there was going to be a use for the soldering iron that I received from Lucent Technologies when I was in high school (over 15yrs ago). Never thought it was going to be used on something that I paid for and expected to work more than a year. They should have pulled these boxes off the shelves.

      ReplyDelete

    Please do not spam our comments section. Only clean and family friendly comments will be approved. No profanity, and please be constructive. People not only want to hear that a product stinks or works great, they want to hear why.