A Note To Site Visitors

If you have used any of the products we have reviewed please leave a comment regarding your experiences with them so that other visitors can get a better idea of their quality. We have done our best to represent the true quality of all reviewed products but without using them over a long period of time it's difficult to get a grasp on the long term reliability of said products.

Magnavox TB100MW9 TV Converter Box Owners Manual

Above is the users manual for the Magnavox TB100MW9 TV converter box. Converter boxes seem to function very poorly and as a result many of people need to consult the manual in order to figure out how to get it to work correctly. Consult this manual for any operations issues or if you need to set the remote control codes. Feel free to ask questions below but we can't promise to have all the answers, a call to the manufacturer may be in order to get your problem solved.

Technical Specifications



  • Fully ATSC Compliant And Operable
  • Channels 2-69
  • Individual Or Manual Tuning With Auto Store Function
  • Channel Flashback
  • V-Chip Parental Controls
  • Closed Captioning
  • Channel Search Function
  • Remote Control
  • Video And Audio Outputs
  • English, Spanish, And French Language Settings
  • Shipping Weight (in lbs): 2.4
  • Product Size (inches) (L x W x H): 5.9 x 9.5 x 1.7
  • 50 comments :

    1. my magnavox converter box stopped working after 6 months. Magnavox customer service will send me another in 3-4 weeks. Buy another brand.

      ReplyDelete
    2. I have a 19 year old RCA 25" tv. The Magnovox converter box is set up right. The printing on-screen is not clear enough for me to read. Even relocating the antenna does not help. So I cannot follow on-screen commands or what ever else it says . Any suggestions? (besides buying a new tv or get cable) Thanks

      ReplyDelete
    3. I purchased a Magnovox converter box and I installed it on a 19 year old RCA tv that works good. After installing the box and trying to read instructions or any writing on the tv it is impoossible to read. I lost some local channels, but found some new ones. Moving the antenna does not help. Channels that do come in are very clear but I get lots of breakups. Doe to weather or traffic, I do not know. Since household income is low I can't afford to purchase a new antenna,or get cable I guess I am stuck with a horrible TV experience now. Hopefully the receptions will get better once all channels change over.

      ReplyDelete
    4. I can not access the setup screen. Remote only turns the box off and on. I am so depressed now :(

      ReplyDelete
    5. we purchased a TB110MW9 converter box today, June12, 2009, and upon first installation we were able to pull up the setup menu. Within 10 minutes of trying to scan channels we completely lost the setup screen and were unable to get it back. We now sit with a grey screen on our TV and no wayto access the menu. As for the customer service number, 1-800-605-8610, all representatives were busy and upon further attempts to reach a representative, a recorded message told us we were not within their calling area. Frustration does not even begin to describe our feelings at the moment. I suggest purchasing a diffent brand of converter box. ARRRGH!!!!

      ReplyDelete
    6. lost book of directions want to know how to set up the conv box

      ReplyDelete
    7. I use the TB100mw9 Magnavox Digital to Analog converter and have been using it for about 6 months or more and LOVE IT. I has it's own On-screen TV Guide. My digital flat screen doesn't even do that. I am very pleased with the reception and clarity. I have lost signals during bad storms(I live in Florida) but I did before the conversion too. I did buy a booster at Radio Shack that boosts the power a bit from the outdoor antenna. My roof antenna feeds three TV's. I did notice a loss of strength on June 12 for two channels the other 25 channels are as clear as a cable connection. Prior to the box I could only accessed about 5 channels

      ReplyDelete
    8. My 80 year old Mom has the TB100MW9 converter box and we have not been able to get the set-up menu to come up. We have tried for two weeks. That box has done mental damage to eight people. Guess the tv stations will lose some viewers.

      ReplyDelete
    9. I have set up several of these boxes for friends. Almost everyone lets you into the setup screen once and then you cannot access it again. Once it does this then you might as well get another box.

      ReplyDelete
    10. I'm attempting to connect a TB110MW9 to a 25-year-old Magnavox B&W television. (I don't watch much TV.) Because the television does not have a coaxial connector, I connected the coax cable from the converter box to a matching transformer, and connected the spade lugs on the transformer to the VHF inputs on the TV. When I turn on the converter box, the converter box menu is illegible on the TV screen because of extreme jiggle. Perhaps there's some sort of syncing problem. Is the converter box defective or is something else wrong? Any suggestions would be much appreciated. (BTW, I've successfully connected an identical converter box to a relative's more modern television, and it works fine. I can't swap the boxes to see if mine is bad because that relative lives 500 miles away.)

      ReplyDelete
    11. I bought the magnavox converter box last month and it started working fine, but now i lost most of the channnels and i try to rescan it again and it does not work either. I would like to know what to do because the channel i want to watch doesn't receive any signal at all. Please help... I'm getting really upset because I haven't watch tv for days.

      ReplyDelete
    12. I have 4 of these converter boxes, bought at Walmart within the past 6 months. In the past two weeks, two of them have stopped working. I only have a black screen on the tv as I would when connecting a vcr or dvd player. Same with the 2nd box that quit. One was connected with a coax and one with the yellow-white-red cable. Called the 800-605-8610 number on the boxes and got Michael, badge number 1254. He began asking how I had the boxes connected to the tv and then told me that it is impossible to use a coax cable and have it work. Gee, it's worked for 6 months and now I'm told I connected it wrong???? This guy was a complete ass and hung up on me. I called back and he said he didn't have to listen to me yell at him - did he think I was going to let him tell me I did it wrong 6 months ago so it isn't working now? He said he was the only supervisor available and he wasn't going to help me. DO NOT BUY ONE OF THESE BOXES -they are total crap with NO customer service when they stop working.

      ReplyDelete
    13. These are the cheapest electronic crap on the market and the same as the rca's boxes. But hay you had a Goverment(cheap)coupon. So what where you expecting from the goverment? 50 channel's in HD. Ya right. Do you think RCA or Magnavox spent more then $5 on making these so called $40 goverment coupon tv boxes. They should have had Mattel or tonka make em. What you pay for is what you get. You got free crappy tv converter boxes. Now go spend a buck and buy a good brand name one like Panasonic. Cough up some cash people

      ReplyDelete
    14. I am joining the ranks of those commenting that their Magnavox box just quit working. Mine lasted 16 months under very light use. Turns on, scans a channel and then shuts off after 20-30 seconds.

      ReplyDelete
    15. #1, first converter box worked ok for little over a year, setup, autoscan, reception everything worked as advertised. One night as I turned on my television. Blue screen, no picture. I waited 10 or 15 minutes, there was a loud popping sound all of a sudden there was a picture. This happened twice, now I have no picture what so ever. #2, I had another converter box in storage, by the way there both Magnavoxes. Well anyways the second one I hooked up, powers up, stand by (green Light) comes on. But nothing else.....WTF !!!!! Brand new out of the box and it DOES NOT WORK!!!!!! DO NOT BUY MAGNOVOX!!!!!

      ReplyDelete
    16. Let me add to this piece of junk. Bought two a year ago and the first one my signal started getting interruptions after 6 months where the picture would freeze for 10-20 seconds then update and freeze again. My second one today is going to all gray screen after 10 minutes of use. I can turn of and back on then it will last for 5 minutes and then back to gray. Piece of junk.

      ReplyDelete
    17. My nana let me have 1 of her 5 converter boxes and she gave me a MAGNOVOX!!!! i hook it up and everything and all i see is a grey screen!!! now im mad cause i aint seen my bones show on fox in a LONG time!!!! and i asked my nana did this ever happen to her and of coures she said no. DONT GET MAGNOVOX !!! it will put you through some got damn trouble FOREAL!!!!

      ReplyDelete
    18. Well, have a new TV and have the box hooked up to it for my elderly mother and guess what we get nothing, no set up page NOTHING AT ALL. So now my poor mother is with out TV, what a joke this box is.

      ReplyDelete
    19. I just bought one of these boxes and I can't even get it to the freaken menu screen! Just snow...pure snow. All connections are correct...and I do have a degree in communications so I know what I am doing. I got it refurbished from Amazon. I just sent an email to the seller to either fix the problem or send me a box to return it and give me my money back.

      Of all refurbished products I have purchased, and I do buy a lot, this has to be the biggest piece of crap besides the emachines laptop that I destroyed because I was sick of looking at it. Looks like me and the roommate are going to have to shell out $20 for standard 20 channel basic cable. Hey, at least that works!

      ReplyDelete
    20. I need to hook up my converter box to a winegard bat wing rv antenna with amplifier any help thank you

      ReplyDelete
    21. I got a magnavox converter box about a year ago. And I also got an RCA converter at almost the same time. Well, both remotes(Mag and RCA) have stopped working correctly. But at least with the RCA the channels can be manually selected, not so with the Magnavox. I think they are both junk.
      I wonder how I;ll fare with a newer TV with digital cpability....will it also be junk?

      ReplyDelete
    22. why does it drop the volume. i can barely hear some of the stations when i can get them. there was nothing wrong the way it was before all this digatal stuff started. now i don't get half the channels I did before.

      ReplyDelete
    23. I purchased TB110MW9 at wal-mart really late in the game and it was the only brand available. This made me a little jittery about purchasing it since the dang thing could only be controled by remote. Had no issues with it until late june when I noticed the 1 button wasn't working on the remote. At that point I figured it was user misuse and disregarded it, after all I could easily get around it by using the channel change button. Then two weeks ago the 4 stopped working, but again I said minor inconvienience. Well get home last night & turn my t.v./box on and every button except power,3,5,6,9,.,display,alt.ch.,audio & still stopped working. This basically renders my box usesless, unless i can tolerate keeping the channel on NBC until the power button gives out. Getting ready to call magnivox, not looking good after reading previous comments.

      ReplyDelete
    24. I purchased a magnavox converter box mod tb100mw9. It worked fine initially but after no more than 10 hours of operation (over a few months period), it no longer works. the setup seems to function ok but after scanning no signals are identified.

      ReplyDelete
    25. I'm actually happy to read all these negative comments because I thought my husband and I were too stupid to get our box to work. Now I realize it is not us...it is the box. It worked for about 10 minutes, then nothing but snow on the tv screen. Adding up all the time we spent screwing around with the dang thing, had we been paid minimum wage we could have a brand new plasma by now.

      ReplyDelete
    26. Greg Morgan says;
      My box has worked well since installation. Guess I'm lucky. Remote control channel up/dn has failed; first up then down. Seems I'll look for another brand to use. Their local web service center was no help.

      ReplyDelete
    27. I have purchased the same converter box, the box itself works fine, its the remote, the up/down button has never worked and now the #4 button does not work and the back wont stay on and it is hardly ever used. I have had my tv with the same remote at least 10 years longer which is a cheaper brand and it works just fine. Guess next time will buy a better product, and it wont be a magnavox.

      ReplyDelete
    28. I have 2 of the Magnavox. The first was broken and they replaced it immediately with a second broken one that they did not replace. The other Magnavox also broke quickly. This model was recommended?? 2 boxes at about $50 each! i am getting an off the wall brand name next.

      ReplyDelete
    29. If you lose your remote forget ever using this box again! There is no power button on the box - and you can not use a univerasal remote because your box has to be ON to program it. Why on earth would they not let you turn the box on and off by hand! DO NOT buy this product!

      ReplyDelete
    30. I have two converter boxes. One remote stopped working. We had to use the second remote for both boxes. My family treated that remote like fine china, because we knew that if it stopped working we would have to buy a universal remote and hope it worked or a new tv which would make our NON-flat screen tvs useless. Guess what? The second remote stopped working. Since when did the government start caring about our tv reception anyway? The converter box was made to convert us all to flat screens or maybe watch us. Three old tvs and no money! Maybe the children's grades will improve. Where is my vhs machine?

      ReplyDelete
    31. you can use a universal remote for that converter box...the code is 0899.It really works!

      ReplyDelete
    32. My box worked fine with my old tv. Suddenly, one day, it just quit. I thought perhaps it was the antenna. After reading these comments, I'm beginning to suspect that it is the box, despite the fact that it APPEARS to be working.

      ReplyDelete
    33. there is an on/off button on the right side of the box toward the back. ;)

      ReplyDelete
    34. Like many others have said, the remote control to this box just stopped working. The only buttons that work is the on/off button and the #3, #6 and #9 buttons. I should have never purchased this converter box.

      ReplyDelete
    35. i used it and i didnt work i used a rca wot the same everything and it WORKED wtf
      its a piece of junk dont ever buy this product

      ReplyDelete
    36. I figured I would use the converter box until my tv wore out, but the converter boxes do not last. I've gone through 3 of them and my old tv is still going strong. Magnavox should be ashamed to build such garbage when they knew their product would only last up to one year. It would be so easy to have built a product that would last 10 years not just a few months. Magnavox and Walmart sure took advantage of the US government 40 dollar coupons and delivered a very inferior product.

      ReplyDelete
    37. Glad I'm not alone. I grew up with analog TV. This problematic DTV balogna reminds me of the stuff of which comedies are made of--you know, like Ralph Kramden moving the antenna around until he winds up falling down the stairs. For all of us whoexperienced the frustration of fiddling with antennas, it's happening all over again. And you know what? Even when you get a good signal, it ain't all it's cracked up to be.

      ReplyDelete
    38. tried the support number on the bottom of the box before i discovered this site .. number is invalid. what a surprise. glad to see i'm not alone with this POS box. i've had it for 2 years. been in a box for the last year...wouldnt pick up a channel... moved my furniture and tv to a different location now all i get is the black screen. hooked it up both ways coax and rca cables. NOTHING works. what a turd.

      ReplyDelete
    39. Description EPG box Says no description for all channels. How do I change it so I have descriptions again?

      ReplyDelete
    40. I BOUGHT A BOX ON EMAIL AND WAS TOLD IT WAS NEW, I NEED THE OWNERS MANUEL ON IT, IT DIDNT COME WITH ONE,PLEASE HELP,MAGNEVOX CONVERTER BOX

      ReplyDelete
    41. Two of these converter boxes have gone bad for us, with a squiggle screen when turned on;I think maybe they were dropped and some hair-thin wire inside broke. NOW the "good" one has self-censored so it won't allow me to watch anything but TV-G rated shows. I tried to re-program the V-chip, but not only did that not work, but it decided to vary the rating censors depending upon the channel...is there any way to clear it????

      ReplyDelete
    42. We had 2 boxes too, the first one died within 6 months , and the 2nd one kept losing reception. Pass few months, I'm Lucky it will come on, I go days , sometimes weeks before It MIGHT work again, I have no hope to ever see a tv show again with this box.... I miss my reality shows , and dr shows, and crime fighting shows... :( But the house is cleaner , and the dogs get more attention. ahhh welll .... When I can get a new one it won't be Magnavox... maybe they are watching us though it.... they didn't like what they saw LMAO , So they shut us down !!!

      ReplyDelete
    43. This box caused me more hours of irritation then it was worth. Definitely do not buy. My friend has an insignia and has never had a problem with it in over a year.

      ReplyDelete
    44. My box goes off (no signal) for hours at a time, them mysteriously will come back on with either a few channels or all channels. I have also experienced the remote issue (loss of button functionality) and am using a universal on the other box.

      ReplyDelete
    45. My 2 boxes just stopped working. I brought them at the same time during the give-away using the coupons provided by the government. One stopped working about a week ago and the other tonight.

      ReplyDelete
    46. I bought two of the 110's with coupons once the local stations did the switch. I had no problems with the set-up nor reception using a roof mounted directional antennea. The first box worked great for 16 months before the remote started losing the function of certain buttons. Had to install the second box since the unused remote had no effect on the old box. Got about 16 months from the second before it started acting up the same. I believe the problems lie inside the boxes with bad capacitors that overheated. Those are usually noticeable to the naked eye if you know where to look. I'm going to try fixing the two before buying replacements sinc all my TV's need those.

      ReplyDelete
    47. Bought 2 of these at Walmart with my Gov coupon.
      One the remote never worked the second, the remote crapped out within 2 years. Magnavox name is now flushed down the toilet! Now instead of watching TV with a lot of commercials, were getting DVDs from the library or watching news or selected shows on-line.

      ReplyDelete
    48. it won't turn on without remote so how are you so post to get a universal remote to work on this thing , somebody got any in sight one this situation.

      ReplyDelete
    49. I have had this box since they first came out.It took a while to find the proper antenna.(Had to make one from the u-tube video),now after a few years the sound keeps going off.Why do they have to make such shotty equiptment that we have to replace every few years?

      ReplyDelete

    Please do not spam our comments section. Only clean and family friendly comments will be approved. No profanity, and please be constructive. People not only want to hear that a product stinks or works great, they want to hear why.