A Note To Site Visitors

If you have used any of the products we have reviewed please leave a comment regarding your experiences with them so that other visitors can get a better idea of their quality. We have done our best to represent the true quality of all reviewed products but without using them over a long period of time it's difficult to get a grasp on the long term reliability of said products.

RCA DTA800B1 TV Converter Box Owners Manual



The RCA DTA800B1 was one of the most widely available converter boxes and therefore a ton of people bought it and currently use it. It has proven to be a pretty good box but with so many other there, we have be inundated with a huge number of requests for the users manual. As a result we have provided the manual above for anyone that might be having technical difficulties. For those looking for remote codes for the universal remote, these are also contained near the end of the PDF above.

Technical Specifications:

  • Important Analog Pass-Through Function For Lower Power Channels
  • Universal Remote Control With Remote Codes
  • Smart Antenna Compatible
  • EPG
  • Emergency Alert System Compatible (EAS)
  • V-Chip Parent Control Settings
  • Energy Star Certified
  • High And Low VHF Channels 2-6 and 7-13
  • UHF Channels 14-69
  • Composite Video And Audio Outputs
  • 4:3 and 16:9 Aspect Ratios
  • RF Cable Included
  • 47 comments :

    1. i have rca converter box and panasonic tv.
      how can i set remote control to the tv.
      i lost converter box manual.

      ReplyDelete
    2. in our viewing area channel 12 is Fox and ch 49 is PDXTV. when the converter box is set on channel 12 it pulls in 49 instead.

      ReplyDelete
    3. I have a RCA Converter Box,lost the manual. Remote needs to be reset, but do not have the codes...help!

      ReplyDelete
    4. I have performed numerous channel scans as of late and it always stops at 54%. What is the reason for this? I have done this procedure successfully in the past. I can't find any answers to this problem in my owner's manual. Thanks! Paul

      ReplyDelete
    5. I have an RCA dta800b1 converter box and it worked real fine until one day that I turned it on one of the channels I liked to watch didn't have sound but the other channels did. I did a channel search and unpluged it but it still has no sound. We have another converter box and that one does have sound. Any help?

      ReplyDelete
    6. my DTA800B1 just stopped working a few months after i purchased it. any suggestions.

      ReplyDelete
    7. Like Paul, during the channel scan it freezes at @ 47% and the only thing I can do to continue the scan is disconnect the antenna and quickly reconnect it. Was such a good box and now all of a sudden doesn't like my antenna anymore like its shorting it or something. I cannot figure it out. Getting another brand.

      ReplyDelete
    8. Thank you very much for your assistance this page is rightous. Again thanks it was a headache saver.

      ReplyDelete
    9. When plugged in and hooked up properly RCA TV Converter DTA800 has the standby light on.After entering the three code numbers and the light blinks 4 times to confirm, and TV volume checks out there is no menu or ability to get to a menu for language or channel scan no matter what channel the TVis on.. I can turn the TV off and on. I cannot change the channels with the remote, but I can turn off the converter from it's standby mode to off. I cannot turn it back on with the remote or it's buttons on the converter. I can get the standby light to come on if I unplug the unit and plug it back in, but no other light comes on and it's channel arrows do nothing either at any time. What could be the problem ?

      ReplyDelete
    10. does anyone have the code for the remote for this converter box?

      ReplyDelete
    11. My remote stopped working on the TV but worked fine on the converter box. I found this manual online and was easily able to reprogram it. I have had this converter for 4 years and it is going strong. Thanks RCA!

      ReplyDelete
    12. some of the commercials dont fill up the entire screen is there a fix for that?

      ReplyDelete
    13. I am trying to record programs like channel 4,9 to my vcr/dvd combo and it just wont work. Any suggestions?

      ReplyDelete
    14. To the last comment, if you have the video setting on widescreen that can cause it. Sometimes even if a program is in widescreen format some of the commercials aren't. Hope that helps.

      As for myself, has anyone found out how to program the remote to a new tv. I don't even remember it being in the manual. It seemed to me that it auto-searched and set itself to my tv. Now I've got a new tv and would love to reset or reprogram it to work with this one. Any help appreciated, thanks.

      ReplyDelete
    15. please tell me where i can get a new remote for the box
      is my kids box and i cant reprogram it so they only have 2 channels and is so agrovating that they not getting cartoon channel.. please help me find a way to get a new remote

      ReplyDelete
    16. I got the converter box set up but i dont have the remote! How do i set up a different universal remote to work with the box. I can set it up with my tv but not the converter box. Any Help? Like a code or something?

      ReplyDelete
    17. this is the only remote and code that actually worked with my admiral tv, and i've tried about 6 differrent ones! all i have to say is thank you

      ReplyDelete
    18. How can I program my universal remote urc r7 to run my rca dta800b1 digital box. My remote to the box stopped running the TV. Does the rca box have a three digit code? If so, please, what is it?

      ReplyDelete
    19. I was told i get all local channels but I can't watch young and the restless on cbs. The cbs channel is 24 hr. news. Is that not included???

      ReplyDelete
    20. Accidently erased all data off box dont have manuel so dont know how to program box so i can watch tv borrowed box from relative who threw away all info to box

      ReplyDelete
    21. My 18 month old son pushed buttons on our box, and now all I get is a black screen with white lettering that just says a bunch of gibberish. How can I fix this? It worked just fine for 2 years and I want it back.

      ReplyDelete
    22. Hi Everyone, Our RCA Converter Box DTA800B1 is working fine, except now the Menu key on the remote does not work. So, we cannot scan and search for channels or set some functions. I have opened and cleaned inside of the remote, but still no luck. Any suggestion as how to fix this would be greatly appreciated.

      ReplyDelete
    23. Does anyone know how to program and use a Universal Remote Control with the RCA DTA800B1 converter box? My original RCA remote stopped functioning.

      ReplyDelete
    24. have a new tv sony how do i connect my rca converter box to my jvc/vcr and tv.I don't have cable and I want to be able to record from my vcr thank you any suggestions I would apprecate

      ReplyDelete
    25. I hooked up this converter box and the picture on the TV is black & white instead of color. What did I do wrong? Are the cables connected incorrectly? Any ideas on how to correct this?

      ReplyDelete
    26. My decoder box works great, but when I go to channel list. All I get is the channels and where the program name should be I get "STORED"
      Nothing else. I can click it from "STORED" to "SKIPPED", but that is it.

      ReplyDelete
    27. I need the manual for my rca converter box or the code to set the remote for my Philips tv.

      ReplyDelete
    28. TO ALL OF YOU WITH A RCA DTA-800 YOU CAN USE A RCA UNAVERSEL REMOTE CONTROLL IT WORKS ON MINE JUST FINE DAVE 11/29/2011

      ReplyDelete
    29. I have a question The RCA DTA800B1 is suppossed to be able to scroll ahead to future programming, is this correct? I have nor been able to get mine to do this? Any Ideas?

      ReplyDelete
    30. For Paul,

      My tv channel scan first stopped at 75% now both boxes stop at 8% complete & freezes the tv screen. Have to unplug the box, plug back in & power back on. RCA tech told me a repair needs to be done and it costs $25 and will take up to 5 weeks before being mailed back. They said do not reset the box back to factory settings as that may or may not fix the problem. If it doesn't fix the problem all the programmed channels will be lost and you still won't be able to scan for channels.

      ReplyDelete
    31. i have the RCA DTA800B1, i lost the remote, can a use a universal remote? i need some codes for it though, i looked on my universal remote site and used all the codes on there but that didnt help. :/

      ReplyDelete
    32. I lost the converter box remote. Can I order a new one? Is there anyway to perform a new channel scan without the remote?

      ReplyDelete
    33. I have the RCA DTA800B1. What strength of antenna signal does it require to find a channel. All I can get out of my current set up (powered RCA rabbit ears and an in line RCA signal booster) is 37%

      ReplyDelete
    34. I have a RCA Converter DTA800B1SN and have misplaced my remote and need to know if I can use a Universal Remote to set to the converter, also I do no have the manual could you please help so that I can use the , thank youconverter

      ReplyDelete
    35. I do not have the slide button that is pictured on the RCA box. I have had all of this working before but no way that I know of the get the "three" or 4 channel on

      ReplyDelete
    36. I installed my DTA 800B1 unit in Feb. 2012. I am
      very unhappy with this product. I cannot receive
      NBC station eight miles away, the picture fluctuates and I am continually moving the antenna. This does not happen with the bedroom
      television fifteen feet away , using another
      converter brand. I would like to return it to WalMArt but I have lost the packaging.

      ReplyDelete
    37. Sometimes I get a solid black box on the screen(blocking the program). I have checked all my security settings and they are off. What can I do?

      ReplyDelete
    38. Why does my converter box turn off after several hours of non-use even when I program the timer to record a show the next day?

      ReplyDelete
    39. I lost the remote to my converter box and I would like to perform a channel search

      ReplyDelete
    40. I need a three digit code to program my DTA800b1 converter box remote to my sanyo tv

      ReplyDelete
    41. my only gripes are when you loose signal for a second and it comes back, you often loose the audio and have to shut down and reboot the silly thing to get your sound back.
      only other gripe is when you tune to a dead station, the thing freezes up for a minute while it thinks about whats going on and comes back and moves to the next channel up..

      ReplyDelete
    42. My box freeze up then cuts off ...i have to unplug then standby light comes on ..turn it on sometimes it works and sometimes it dont......what can I do.?

      ReplyDelete
    43. Could somebody please tell me the code to a Philips TV I lost my manual...I would greatly appreciate it...thank you very much

      ReplyDelete
    44. I have the rca box but need to know how to program the remote to tv please someone help the tv is a vizio.

      ReplyDelete
    45. Does this converter box have a camera in it that can be used for surveillance?

      ReplyDelete
    46. My remote for my converter box no longer works. I need the code to the converter box itself so that I can use my universal remote to operate the converter box

      ReplyDelete
    47. My RCA converter box recently began to get stuck in stand by mode.Now it will not function at all.Please advise!Thanks.

      ReplyDelete

    Please do not spam our comments section. Only clean and family friendly comments will be approved. No profanity, and please be constructive. People not only want to hear that a product stinks or works great, they want to hear why.